For the last few years, being at Uni, I have had a lot of stress that I’ve had to learn how to manage, and it hasn’t been easy to say the least. For all of Sophomore and Junior year, the fear of college was always on my mind. This only added more stress to the academic and social stress that I was already dealing with. Honestly, I never handled it very well, and I would feel anxious a lot of the time.

But a couple months ago, I was on Youtube at like 2 a.m, scrolling through and watching random videos. I clicked on a video that changed how I viewed life. It was this guy giving a speech, and the first thing he said was “YOU’RE ONLY 17!”. This immediately caught my attention because I had just turned 17. He then went on to say how at 17 you don’t need to have the rest of your life figured out, and that it’s okay to make mistakes. This really resonated with me because I had really been trying to get good grades, and stressing myself out so much in the process.

He then continued to say, “you could probably make the wrong decisions for the next 10 years of your life, and still end up with a relatively successful life.” Obviously he didn’t mean to stop working hard, or to purposefully make wrong decisions. But he was saying to take some of the pressure off of yourself. This helped me calm down a lot, because I felt like a weight was taken off of my shoulders.

So now, whenever I feel stressed about the pressures of life, like figuring out what I want to do with my life, college, or getting perfect grades, I remember that video. It helps me calm down and remember that I have time, and that the weight of the world isn’t on my shoulders.

Comments

  1. Yeah, I feel like as a Uni kid, college is always something that is talked about. Like everything we do, is for college. We have to get good grades, participate in these clubs, take these classes, just to get into a good college. And it kinda sucks because then you're always stressed and also like school just doesn't become as enjoyable anymore, but I'm glad that you found something that helps you calm your nerves because that's really important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I get really anxious over grades and testing. Uni really doesn't help with the stress and anxiety with the perfectionist and competitive environment that it has. Just take it easy and try your best, I know that you are going to be just fine Lexy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the long run, do grades and even what college you attend matter at all. Life is a progressive journey, and we're rly not meant to experience such high levels of stress so early. I'll relate this blog to the quote "Laugh like you're 10. Party like you're 20. Travel like you're 30. Think like you're 40. Advise like you're 50. Care like you're 60. Love like you're 70". In high school, which is in-between the 10-20 ages, what are we supposed to do. I guess I'll append the quote and add "stress like you're 16".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Comet" with a more wholesome ending